Tera Yakel

Some of my thoughts as I journey the path of following Jesus.

Name:
Location: Kansas City

I am a single woman who is listening and learning from the emerging conversation.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Blessing

As I have dealt with my own issues of calling and gifting I have frequently desired "the Blessing" of some people in my life who have been influenced and played a part in shaping who I am today. The blessing that I speak of is both formal and informal – it is an acknowledgment of who I am and who/what God is calling me to.

Liz Rios is someone that I meet at the National Pastor’s Conference in May of 2005, I have continued to read her blog and have been blessed by her writings. One writing in particular "In Search of the Blessing" has really impacted me.

She writes "in reality countless women don’t dare step into God’s call on their lives because they are still waiting for "the blessing." Often times, when the blessing does come, if ever, it is only for specific or restricted roles." For me this has been true, and I would really love to instead be in this place: "Although it may hurt to lack the blessing of man, we must desire so much more the blessing of God. God’s blessing comes through our obedience to what God has called us to do, and sometimes fulfilling that call comes without the blessing of those from whom we desire it. Nevertheless, step out into your calling, searching first God’s blessing, and looking forward to the fulfillment you’ll receive by ministering to those whom God shall have you bless."

I wonder how many women are like me? How many woman where taught both consciously and unconsciously that you should do what God is calling you to; unless you are a woman and that means a leadership role.

What would it look like for a generation of woman to feel encouraged and "blessed." How would that change the Church?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home